Thursday, June 4, 2015

Oboe Life - Take 1: A New Start

A New Beginning To Writing My Musical Life

Hello! Well, this is a start for me. I am continuing my life and sharing it with the world. I previously held a miniature "blog" from Musicforpandas.tumblr.com where I wrote about my marching life. I'll post the previous Takes on here later on, but feel free to look on my tumblr. 

Let's take the time to introduce myself and my journey on playing the oboe. 

I began my journey on the oboe at the age of 14 in 8th grade of middle school where I switched from Flute. Previously, I started playing Piano at the age of 9, and then was introduced to Flute in 5th grade. I stopped playing Oboe halfway through 8th grade, but picked it up again right after I entered high school. My first performance on oboe was through East County Youth Symphony, where I performed Antonin Dvorak-New World Symphony; I was 2nd oboe. During this time, I still played flute with the high school marching band, and went on to play flute during marching seasons and oboe for concert seasons. It is my third year in high school and I have started to play less flute and more oboe. I believe that playing flute will inhibit me from developing my oboe embochure to its full potential. 

I first studied with Electra Reed, who was a graduate of Julliard, and now I study with Sarah Skuster, who is the Principal Oboist of the SD Symphony. 

Now I am finishing my junior year with the idea that I want to become an Oboe Performance major. As for college, I have only chosen to look at schools in California because I believe they have some of the best music programs there. I am not completely sure which school yet, but I know that I'll do great. 

And to close this Take, I'd like to share my first solo performance, which is on my youtube channel, of Francis Poulenc's Oboe Sonata - Elegie (https://youtu.be/KROreNJed0c)

No comments:

Post a Comment